Monday, October 27, 2008

Sunshine, Lollipops & Coalships



If Lesley Gore was living in Newcastle these days I'm sure she'd be tempted to re-write her 1965 hit song from 'Sunshine, Lollipops & Rainbows', to the title I have suggested above. Perhaps not as sugary as a song about teenage love, but still a catchy title!

You couldn't have asked for a more perfect Newcastle day, the sun was shining, the temperature was hovering around the high 20's, a light north easterly was keeping things pleasant on the sand, the water was bracing (not cold) & I was even able to park in the car park at Nobbys Beach (that is a feat in itself!). But the best thing was though, I had at least two of my favourite girls with me to share the absolute beauty of this picture perfect Newcastle day.

Jessica just loves the beach & also thankfully for me isn't the least bit camera shy & so I was able to get some great shots of her playing in the water & on the sand. it's great when you can capture kids having fun, without them having to pose, I think it just brings out their natural beauty!

As for coalships, well they just keep coming & going up & down the Hunter River, 24/7 to destinations around the world as they have done for over 200 years from the Newcastle Port. I hope Newcastle never loses its working harbour function & its coal operations. It maintains Newcastle's history & gives the city its 'real' character.
Although I'm sure environmentalists would beg to differ!


No comments: