Tuesday, June 2, 2009

Winter Wine 2009



Well our winter in Australia has now started & the changing season is best reflected in & around the Hunter Valley vineyards. It is a challenge to keep getting outside to try to capture some different aspects of winter in Australia (especially Newcastle) when the sensible thing to do is rug up & stay inside.
So when I was sent to the vineyards on the first day of winter, the first thing I did was pack my trusty Canon 400D with both lenses (the 18 - 55mm & the 75 - 300mm).
The day itself was just flat & grey, not too cold around 18 deg, not raining,
but rain wasn't too far off. The great thing about having an overcast day, was that I was always presented with even light & so I didn't have to worry too much about shadow. Also, due to the amount of rain the vineyards have had, the area still has some extraordinary colour, contrasted by the vines & deciduous trees.

One weekend I'll have to make a point of getting back out to the vineyards, when I'm not constrained by time issues & really do some serious photography in this unique part of the Hunter Valley.

Oh, the wine is also superb & if you scout around there some extraordinary good value tipples to be had .... just don't drink & drive.

No comments: